CPWDA Central

C.P.W.D.A. Info
Executive Board Members
Member Benefits
Current Wasson Winner
Wasson Award History
Daniel Wasson Tribute
Certification Standards
Training & Seminars
Event Calendar
C.P.W.D.A. Forms
K9 Equipment For Sale
K-9's In Action
Photo Gallery
CPWDA Videos
K9 Demo Request
CPWDA Training Articles
CPWDA Members' K-9 Cards
K-9 Links
K-9 Handlers LODD
K-9 Monuments
K9 Patches
CPWDA K-9 Poems
CPWDA Sponsors
CPWDA Donations

L.O.D. Deaths

1950's & Earlier LODD
1960's LODD
1970's LODD
1980's LODD
1990's LODD
2000 - 2009 LODD
2010 - Present






1980 - 1989 Tributes For Police And Military K9 Handlers

Note :  Some of these tributes are for those that were not line of duty deaths.




Flashing star on both sides of officer name indicates both officer and K9 were killed in line of duty  

Cpl. Derek Hayes
May 21, 1988 - Crossmaglen, South Armarch - Age 28

Corporal Derek Hayes was from Lincolnshire and was killed along with his dog in a terrorist booby-trap bomb at Castleblayney Road, Crossmaglen.  He has went forward to investigate a box, partly hidden in a ditch, and on doing so the bomb detonated.  Corporal Hayes was buried with the ashes of his dog.

Lt. Fred Floyd House
January 28, 1988 - Summit County, Utah - Age 36

Lieutenant House, 36, was shot and killed on January 28, 1988 while participating with a SWAT team to assist federal and state law enforcement agencies during a siege of a family compound in Marion, Utah. At the time this incident had been the longest siege in FBI history. On January 16, 1988, two days before the ninth anniversary of the death of John Singer, Addam Swapp detonated a church building at 3:00 a.m. with 87 sticks of dynamite, causing 1.5 million dollars in damage owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. in Marion about a mile from his home. This act of terrorism was Addam’s way of notifying the church and Utah he had begun to get even. Upon leaving the church, Addam stuck a spear in the ground on the corner of the church property. Nine feathers were attached to the handle, next to the engraved date – January 18, 1979. The nine feathers signified the nine years since John’s death.  Tracks in the snow led from the spear directly to the Singer farm.  Swapp had walked to the nearby family home and watched the explosion with family members Jonathan Singer and a dozen family members including nine children and Swapp’s two wives. When police contacted Addam Swapp and Vickie Singer at their home with 15 people inside, including Addam Swapp’s six children, all under the age of six to surrender, they refused and promised them a battle. The Summit County Sheriff’s office immediately requested assistance from the Utah Department of Public Safety due to the explosives.  The DPS summoned experts from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and FBI. For the next thirteen days, federal law enforcement officers surrounded the Singer property in an attempt to force the Singer and Swapp family members to surrender. More than 100 law officers responded to the scene within 24 hours and were held at bay for 13 days in extremely low temperatures, where nightly temperatures dropped below zero. It was necessary to rotate officers every few hours due to the temperature. Swapp and Singer refused to leave the property or cooperate with officers at the scene. Authorities used a variety of tactics in an attempt to move the siege to a peaceful conclusion. Low flying aircraft buzzed the house and circled the 2  1/2f acre farm. Spotlights were extinguished and aerial flares were fired over the compound. Emergency vehicles activated lights and sirens. Also a public address system was installed which directed high pitch electronic static at the Singer compound. The main water line into the compound was severed. In order to further motivate the Singers/Swapps to open communications, the decision was made to disconnect electrical power to the compound. An FBI marksman, who fired two rounds into a power transformer, accomplished this. Throughout this time, Swapp was observed walking around the Singer property with a rifle, and Singer, who was confined to a wheelchair, was observed also brandishing a rifle from the window of the Singer property.

The siege ended on the morning of January 28, when police attached a tactical device commonly called a "flash bang" to a speaker. When activated, this device produces a loud noise and a bright flash. The device is used to temporarily distract and disorient a suspect. The plan was to subdue Addam with the aid of a police dog during this brief period of time. At 6 a.m. the plan was placed in motion. As expected, Addam emerged from his home and approached the load speaker, firing several rounds, and shouting obscenities at the police. As Addam began to remove the speaker, the flash bang was activated and Officer House released his dog. The dog was startled by the flash bang and ran from the scene, failing to engage the suspect. Addam fired at the dog as it ran for cover. Addam then hastily retreated to the safety of the house. Although this plan had failed, authorities were convinced that the plan had merit. A backup plan was set in motion. Another daily routine observed by police was the morning milking of several goats by Addam and Jonathan Swapp. At 8:30 a.m., Addam and Jonathan left their fortified home to milk the goats. Lt. Fred House and an FBI team hid in a nearby home and attempted to use a plan designed by the FBI to apprehend Swapp carrying a rifle, while he and  his brother Jonathan  walked to a near by goat pen to milk a goat. As they approached the goat pen, Officer Fred House appeared in a nearby doorway and ordered his dog to attack. Lt  House’s K-9 hesitated, and when House stepped from cover to encourage his K-9 he became a target himself and was fatally shot by Timothy Singer with a .30 caliber steel jacketed round fired from the Singer home and fell in the doorway. A bullet also struck another federal agent in the chest, but his bullet-proof vest deflected the bullet. An FBI Agent tried to pull Officer House to safety. During this heroic attempt, Addam Swapp, Jonathan Swapp, and Timothy Singer fired numerous rounds. During this barrage of gunfire, the FBI Agent raised his issued duty weapon and fired two rounds at Addam Swapp. One 9mm round struck Addam in the right wrist. The bullet passed through his arm and lodged in his chest. Addam fell to the ground, then stood up, and ran to the house. Two armored personnel carriers had been standing by in case of emergency. Officers immediately summoned their assistance to evacuate Officer House. As the two armored personnel carriers moved forward, they came under extremely heavy gunfire. More than 100 rounds ricocheted off the front of these machines. Operators were fearful that a bullet would pass through the narrow slits utilized for vision. As officers were attempting to move Officer House to safety, Addam Swapp emerged from the house, waiving a white towel stained with blood. He surrendered without further incident. His injuries were not life threatening. Following 20 minutes of tense negotiations, the remainder of the Singer/Swapp family surrendered. Paramedics worked frantically to stabilize Officer House. Despite their valiant efforts, Department of Corrections Officer Fred House died at Marion, Utah. Inside the compound, officers found hundreds of rounds of ammunition, numerous weapons, including a sawed-off shotgun, rifles, and explosives. When Lieutenant House was killed, he was wearing a body armor vest.  Although his vest contained hard ceramic inserts which upgraded its stopping capabilities, the bullet struck the non-ceramic inside edge of the hard armor chest panel and then penetrated through the soft portion of the vest causing his death.  His wife Ann and three children, Seth, Janneke and Christy survive Lieutenant House.

Swapp, Singer and the rest of the family members were jointly tried in April 1988. The jury found Swapp and Singer guilty of attempting to kill officers and employees of the FBI, assaulting, resisting, opposing, impeding and interfering with FBI agents while they were engaged in the performance of their official duties, two counts of using a deadly and dangerous weapon or firearm during and in relation to these crimes of violence.  In addition, Addam Swapp was convicted of knowingly and maliciously damaging and attempting to damage a building with an explosive, and using a deadly and dangerous weapon in connection with that crime and sentenced to 15 years in federal prison. He was also given an additional five-year mandatory sentence for using explosives. For his conviction of manslaughter in state court, involving the death of Lt. Fred House, he was sentenced to one to 15 years in prison. He was sent to federal prison in Indiana.  After serving his federal sentence, he will be returned to Utah to serve his state sentence.  The Swapp brothers and John Timothy Singer were convicted of second-degree attempted murder for firing on the officers. John Timothy Singer was also sentenced to 10 years for using firearms against federal agents. For his conviction of manslaughter in the death of Lt. Fred House he will serve a one to 15 year sentence in Utah following his federal sentence. Jonathan R. Swapp was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for using firearms against federal agents.  He was sent to federal prison in Arizona. For his conviction of misdemeanor negligent homicide, he faces no more than one year in prison for the death of Lt. Fred House. Vickie Singer was sentenced to 5 years for aiding in the use of a gun and resisting arrest. She was later paroled after three and a half years and returned to live on her farm in Marion.

John Timothy Singer was released from prison on October 10, 2006 at the age of 40 from Terminal Island, California for the killing of Lt. Fred House.  On January 27, 2007, Addam Swapp was transferred to Arizona and not Utah because Fred House relatives work at the prison.

Officer Daniel Scott Wasson
 April 12, 1987 - Milford, Connecticut - Age 28

Officer Daniel Scott Wasson , 25, was a Police Officer serving the Town of Milford in Connecticut.  Officer Wasson had been commended three times for outstanding performance since joining the force on  March 1, 1985.  He was a U.S. Air Force veteran who worked in the police K-9 unit. On Sunday morning of April, 12, 1987, while doing a routine motor vehicle stop on  Boston Post Road in Milford with his K-9 partner General in the patrol car,  Wasson had radioed a police dispatcher before stopping a vehicle but they did not know Wasson's reason for making the stop. Officer Wasson wrote down the license plate number of the vehicle he was stopping before leaving his cruiser. Officer Wasson was found at 2:45   a.m. lying on the side of the road  by a passing motorist with a single gunshot wound to the chest.  He had been gunned down  with a 44 magnum and was pronounced dead at Yale New Haven Hospital shortly after 3 a.m.  Officer Wasson's K-9, General, was turned over to his family and retired from the police force.  Officer Wasson  is buried in Kings Highway Cemetery in Milford.  In 1993, The Connecticut Police Chiefs Association, in cooperation with the Connecticut Police Work Dog Association Inc., established The Daniel Wasson Memorial K-9 Award.  These annual awards are chosen from line of duty deployments submitted by Connecticut police canine teams that exemplify the highest tradition of police canine law enforcement. Daniel Scott Wasson made the supreme sacrifice; it is in his memory that this award is bestowed upon a K-9 team each year for outstanding service.  The award plaque honoring Officer Daniel Wasson and the winners of this prestigious award is proudly displayed in the lobby of the Connecticut Police Academy in Meriden, Connecticut.  On June 23, 2003 State Route 796, the New Milford Parkway Connector, was renamed Daniel S. Wasson Connector in honor of Officer Wasson and a ball field is also named Daniel Wasson Field in his honor. Officer Wasson was with the Milford Police Department for two years. Officer Wasson was engaged to be married at the time. Danny Wasson's locker number 43 remains empty to this day serving as a reminder to city police officers who suit up for work that their fellow officer made the ultimate sacrifice.

Thomas A. Hoyesen, 33,  was arrested by Bridgeport Police officer's Pamela Stewart and John Prokop at 3:00 a.m. the morning Officer Wasson was killed, approximately 25 minutes after the shooting. Hoyesen was charged with narcotics possession, carrying a pistol without a permit and failure to appear in court on a motor vehicle violation. Hoyesen had a record going back to when he was 15 years old using drugs and turned to cocaine in 1986. Hoyesen was on a three day cocaine binge when he shot Officer Wasson. The suspect was found to have a loaded .44 caliber revolver with one bullet missing police said after Officer Wasson was shot and killed. Judge Philip E. Mancini Jr. set Hoyesen bail at $750,000 when captured. Thomas Hoyesen pleaded not guilty on May 22 but then changed his plea to guilty on May 24 to capital murder charges, avoiding a possible death sentence. A three judge Superior Court panel did not give him the death penalty because he was mentally impaired from heavy cocaine use.  Hoyesen was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole on June 10, 1988 by Judge Philip E. Mancini Jr. and is serving his sentence at the Corrigan-Radgowski Correctional Center in Montville for the murder. Judge Samuel Freedman told the Wasson family he could understand their frustration. He suggested that letters written by the family be brought to attention of legislators to support the argument self - induced drug use should not be considered a mitigating factor in capital cases.

Officer Patricia Faye Dwyer
 August 22,1986 - Corona, California  - Age 45

On August 22, 1986, Officer Patricia Faye Dwyer, 45,  was off duty   and riding in  back of a van traveling down the fast lane of highway 91 with her husband Mike driving. They were taking their 24 year old son Mark to the hospital from the Orange County Fairgrounds to a hospital in Riverside for treatment of injuries from a motorcycle accident. Mark had injured his neck in a speedway motorcycle race in Costa Mesa and originally he felt fine but when his legs became numb the family decided to rush to the hospital. Her husband was behind a slow moving vehicle that was weaving in front of him and he was trying to pass the vehicle. Mike Dwyer flashed his lights a few times to tell the driver in front of him he wanted to pass him. The driver in front of him made an obscene gesture. The Dwyer’s Dodge van overtook Hawks' Oldsmobile near Coal Canyon Road. Over the next 12 miles Patricia's husband, Mike Dwyer, and the other vehicle were engaging in speeds up to 85 mph. When they reached the South Main Street exit in Corona, Patricia Dwyer stood up in the back to see where the other car was from the passenger-side window. "She said `Good. He's slowing down. He's going into the slow lane, we'll be fine. Seconds later the driver of the other vehicle in front of them became angry and decided to follow the Dwyer’s van onto the street in Corona and reached behind his seat and grabbed a Mossberg 12 gauge shot gun and fired a slug at the back of the van hitting Officer Dwyer in the chest and then sped away at approximately 11:10 p.m.  The slug went through Officer Dwyer, killing her almost instantly and struck another person riding in the back of the van in the neck by the name of Wendy Varga, 21, who then committed suicide years after. The slug blew a hole an inch in diameter through the side of the van four lanes away. Witnesses gave a partial plate number and then an informant came forward with information.  Three days later an air conditoner repairman by the name of Harold Harvey Hawks, 26,  was arrested for suspicion of murder and attempted murder and held on $250,000 bail for the murder of Officer Dwyer. On Dec. 9, 1978, Officer Dwyer became the first female officer to work a shift as a sworn officer and four years later, she set another milestone for the department by becoming part of its first canine unit. The incident was considered  the first "road rage" fatality in the nation, occurring at a time when the term had not been coined -- such events were simply called "highway violence." Approximately 1,000 attended her service. She is survived by her husband Mike, her son Mark and two daughters, Michelle and Holly along with her K9 partner “Saber”. 

Harold Harvey Hawks, 27, a professional skateboarder of the late 1970s, was found guilty after four days of deliberation and was convicted of second-degree murder on May 4, 1987, He served time at the California Institution for Men, in Chino, Calif. He was transferred to Folsom State Prison about a month later. In 1989, he was moved to the Correctional Training Facility, in Soledad, were he remained until his release. He has been denied parole four times. After serving 26 years in prison he was eligible for parole and was found suitable for parole at a court ordered parole hearing on August 3, 2012 and released on parole after the Governor took no further action on January 8, 2013.

Officer Harry Biddington Hanson
 July 17, 1986 - Anchorage, Alaska - Age 41

Officer Hanson, 41, was shot and killed on July 17, 1986, approximately 3:45 a.m. while searching for a suspect who had shot at another officer. Canine Officer Hanson and canine Officer Giles were in pursuit of a man who fired at another officer and had taken her cruiser. The fugitive, William A. Weitz, 27, who was an ex convict was stopped approximately 3:30 a.m. by Officer Cindy Mittasch who spotted his green 1976 Toyota station wagon  near East Sixth Avenue and Juneau Street as a possible getaway vehicle in a Convenience store robbery  at the Qwik Stop at 341 Boniface Parkway earlier on that evening. When the vehicle was pulled over by Officer Mittasch, Weitz jumped from his car and aimed a gun at her and Officer Mittasch ran behind her cruiser for cover. The two of them exchanged shots Weitz advanced on Officer Mittasch while still firing his weapon and she then ran to a vacant lot to take cover. Weitz then jumped into Officer Mittasch's cruiser which was idling and speed off in it. Weitz then crashed the cruiser into a concrete wall at Eleventh Avenue and Nelchina Street and then fled on foot. Several officers then arrived on scene looking for Weitz including canine officer Hanson and canine officer Giles. Officer Hanson left his K9 "Baron" in the cruiser while officer Giles took his K9 "Pete" to pursue Weitz. Officer Giles K9 "Pete picked up the scent and started tracking. The K9 led Officer Hanson and Officer Giles to a front yard of a four plex at the corner of Tenth Street and Nelchina Street where Weitz was hiding under a spruce tree with a .38 caliber revolver.  As both officers approached, Weitz jumped out and fired at Officer Hanson from approximately one foot away striking him in the neck just above his bullet proof vest. Weitz then ran into the street still shooting at the officers with Officer Giles returning fire. Another canine officer, Gilbert Cordell, chased Weitz and shot him and emptied his service revolver and had to reload. Weitz was shot four times and fell half way down Nelchina Street. Weitz shot a total of five shots at police while officer Cordell fired eleven shots, Officer Giles fired four shots, and Officer Hanson did not fire any shots. Officer Hanson was rushed by ambulance to Humana Hospital were he died about an hour later. Weitz was arrested and hospitalized as serious condition. He later underwent surgery at Providence Hospital for his arm, shoulder and thigh.  Officer Hanson had been with the Anchorage Police Department in Alaska for eight years. Officer Hanson joined the U.S. Army at 18 and served a short term in Korea. He served two terms in Vietnam and was a highly decorated member with the Army Special Forces. He received the Cross of Gallantry for bravery in combat and discharged from the Army in 1971 as a Captain after serving eight and a half years.  Officer Hanson received a 21 gun salute. He is survived by his wife Deanna and five children, Melissa Anne Hanson,12 , Harry B. Hanson III, 10, Heather Marie Hanson, 4, Amy Michelle Hanson,2, and Leo James Hanson, 4 months old.

Weitz had trouble with the law at an early age and was declared a delinquent in 1970 at the age of twelve. At the age of thirteen he was sent to Turning Point Boy's Ranch for joy riding and petty theft. At the age of sixteen he was institutionalized as a juvenile for strong armed robbery and burglary. At the age of 20 he was arrested for burglary in a dwelling. In 1983, at the age of 25, he was sent to prison for gas station burglaries. On June 27, 1986, three weeks before he killed Officer Hanson he pulled a gun on officer Kevin Ehm. Weitz had just been released from Cardova Center, a half way house, on  February 24, 1986, just five months before killing Officer Hanson. His original release date was set for June 12, 1986.  

Weitz was found with marked money from the convenience store. He was charged with first degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, one count of first degree assault, one count of armed robbery, and being a felon in possession of a firearm.  He was held on a one million dollar bond. Weitz was found guilty of all charges, robbery in the first degree, two counts of attempted murder in the first degree, one count of murder in the first degree and one count of assault in the first degree. His jury trial ended on December 4, 1986.  On March 6, 1987, Judge Seaborn J. Buckalew Jr. sentenced Weitz to 169 years in prison, 99 years for killing Officer Hanson, 20 years for each for the robbery and attempted murder, and thirty years for the other charges and shall be eligible for no parole.   


Cpl. Brian David Brown
May 28, 1986 - Kilkeel, County Down - Age 37

Corporal Brian Brown, 37, was killed by an IRA bomb along with his golden labrador, Oliver, as he and his search dog made a second search of a petrol station after a bomb warning. Both Corporal Brown and Oliver were killed instantly, and it is believed that Oliver may have nudged an oil drum containing the bomb, which was activated by a mercury tilt switch. A colleague was badly injured. He had been a dog handler for ten years. His Widow received a posthumous Queens Gallantry Medal in July 1987. He was married with 4 children and was on duty at the time of his death.

Officer Roy Hobson Mardis
August 23, 1985 - Lexington Fayette Urban County, Kentucky - Age 35

K-9 Officer Mardis, 35, was killed August 23, 1985 while assisting the Kentucky State Police track a double homicide suspect. After locating the suspect in a thick cornfield the suspect ran from the cornfield into an open field. Police believed the suspect was armed at the time. Police said they saw something bright and shiny but later it turned out to be a screw driver. Police believe Officer Mardis fired the first shot of about 20 fired in about five seconds. Police heard Officer Mardis yell to the suspect "get your hands where I can see them". Police then heard the suspect shout back at Officer Mardis that he didn't want to go back to prison and that he would have to kill him. Police then said they heard Officer Mardis fire about twelve more rounds. Troopers on the outer perimeter opened fire with Ruger Mini-14s.. with about  four more rounds. Haight then fled and jumped over a fence. There was then more gun fire and an officer yelled for cease fire. Haight was captured about one hundred yards from the fence. Officer Larry Downs was also using a bloodhound when he found Officer Mardis's bloodhound "Amanda" wandering around loose. He then found Officer Mardis' body in the corn field.   One .223 caliber round entered the cornfield and hit Officer Mardis between the eyes killing him instantly. Officer Mardis was well know within his field as a top K-9 officer.  Officer Mardis had been with the  Lexington-Fayette Urban County Police Dept. in Kentucky for 13 years.  He is survived by his wife Sue and five daughters.

On September 5, 1985 State Police identified the officer who shot Lexington police officer Roy Mardis as Sgt. Gary Peercy, 30, a seven-year state police veteran. A Mercer County coroner's jury ruled after deliberating only five minutes that the shooting was accidental and that the bullet had probably ricocheted of the ground or cornstalk before striking Mardis. A state police forensics expert believes the bullet ricochet because the entry wound on Officer Mardis' head was large and the entire bullet was not recovered from Officer Mardis body.

The suspect Officer Mardis was tracking, Randy Haight, 33, had escaped from Johnson County Jail on 7/22/85 with his girlfriend and another inmate while awaiting trial in three counties. Haight fired at a state trooper who tried to stop him on August 22, 1985. Haight had been charged with with the death of Patricia Vance and David Omer who were found in their car near Harrington Lake in Garrard County the day Officer Mardis was killed. He executed a young couple by shooting the man in the face, chest, shoulder, and back of head and shot the woman in the shoulder, temple, back of head, and through the eye. Haight was apprehended and sentenced to death for the double murder on 3/22/94. Haight had stole guns and several cars.


Constable Michael Joseph Buday
March 19, 1985 - British Columbia - Age 27


Constable Michael Buday, 27, was shot and killed on March 19, 1985 at Teslin Lake, which straddles the Yukon-British Columbia Border. The incident occurred on the shoreline in very thick woods. Constable Buday was stationary and very well covered from an approach from the lake as part of an ERT operational plan. The killer, a Michael Oros, age 33, had lived in the northern regions of Canada for several  years. He proclaimed himself a prophet and a Vietnam veteran. He was known for his violent outbreaks and was suspected in the disappearance of a trapper in 1981 who was his former friend, trapper Gunter Lischy, and was known to have raided wilderness cabins.. Oros became a burglary suspect  when a Whitehorse family had discovered their cabin broken into. The R.C.M.P. used an aircraft to fly over the remote lake area to search for Oros. When he knew they had spotted him, he shot at the aircraft but missed. The police flew back to Teslin, where more officers were recruited to confront Oros on the following day.  Constable Buday, the team's dog handler and twelve other officers dropped  into the area. Oros, an experienced woodsman was armed with two rifles, The suspect managed to circle through the thick woods and sneak up behind him unobserved, shooting him in the back. Constable Buday never saw it coming. Constable Garry Rodgers who was with Constable Buday returned fire killing the suspect.  Dennis Dennison, owner of Coyote Air Services of Teslin, piloted the command plane for the operation. He confirmed Oros' death by flying over the body after the shooting. A week later, over 700 RCMP traveled to Brooks, Alberta--the home of Michael Buday--to say good-bye to their comrade. Constable Buday's police dog “Trooper” led the funeral procession from the church to the cemetery. Buday's name joined the Honor Roll of nearly 200 RCMP who have died in the line of duty.  After the Oros shoot-out, Atlin RCMP Corporal Barry Erickson discovered the bones of Gunter Lischy while searching the area near Oros' cabin with Constable Jack Warner of Teslin. A forensic pathologist examined the bones and determined Lischy died from a bullet in the back. A coroner's jury deliberated for just over an hour before concluding that Michael Oros had killed Gunter Lischy.

Officer Joseph Hepp
 March 4, 1984 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Age 39

Canine Officer Joseph Hepp, 39, was killed  when his car struck a bridge abutment on the Roosevelt Boulevard Extension as he drove to work. Emergency personnel were unable to remove Officer Hepp from the car untill a trainer was called to calm his  unhurt German shepherd, which had blocked officers from approaching. Officer Hepp was pronounced dead at 10:20 a.m. at the hospital. Officer Hepp was a 17-year veteran of the Philadelphia Police Department.

Officer Richard D. Lendell
 January 14,1983 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Age 43
Officer Richard Lendell, 43,suffered a fatal heart attack on January 14, 1983 while responding to an officer needs assistance call at 11:45 p.m..
Officer Richard Lendell was on duty with his Canine partner, King when he responded to an assist officer call, at the Saint Athanasius R.C. Church
located at Limekiln Pike and Walnut Lane. The church was hosting a dance when a fight occurred and several of the attendees left the church hall and
refused to disperse from the area. As a result of the  heart attack, Officer Lendell's patrol car crashed into a parked cars at 72nd Street and Ogontz
Avenue. Responding officers were prevented from entering the vehicle by Officer Lendell's canine partner, King, who was protecting Officer Lendell.
Another canine officer was able to get King out of the vehicle which allowed officers to get to Officer Lendell. He was taken to a nearby hospital where
he was pronounced dead. Officer Lendell had served with the Philadelphia Police Department  for 16 years. 
Trooper Gary E. Kubasiak
 August 30, 1982 - New York State Police - Age 32

New York State Trooper Gary E. Kubasiak, 32, died on August 30, 1982, from gunshot wounds to his chest, abdomen and hand from a 30-30 rifle, on Route 62, Town of Dayton, Cattaraugus County, at the residence of James Swan, 33,  (former mental patient and school mate known to Kubasiak). Trooper Kubasiak went to the residence with other New York State police members. Swan opened the kitchen door for Kubasiak, let him in and shot him three times before he even had a chance to defend himself or order his dog to attack. Investigator Timothy Howard then entered the residence through a bedroom window, unaware that Kubasiak had been shot. Howard heard Swan threaten to shoot K-9 Donivan and ordered him to drop the rifle. Swan responded by pointing the weapon at Howard, at which time Howard shot Swan in the chest and left him for dead. Howard then went to Kubasiak's aid, and advised the other officers to call for an ambulance. Zone Sergeant Berger entered the residence to check on Swan's condition. Swan had crawled into a bedroom and closed the door. When Berger kicked the door open he was confronted by Swan with a shotgun pointed at him. Swan slammed the door shut, Berger then called for assistance. Later Swan opened the bedroom door and surrendered to troopers. Trooper Kubasiak was pronounced dead at Tri County Hospital in Gowanda, NY. Trooper Kubasiak had been with the New York State Police for nine years.

James Swan was convicted of murder and sentenced to a term of thirty five years to life.

James J. Swan escaped from a holding cell in the Cattaraugus County courthouse in May of 1984 when he broke away from sheriff deputies and escaped through an emergency exit door of the court house in Little Valley. Deputy sheriff's were about to lead Mr. Swan into the courtroom of County Judge J. James Crawley, who had ordered them to remove Mr. Swan's handcuffs and leg irons before bringing him in. James Swan was captured five miles away by local law enforcement at 8:21 p.m. in the community of Mansfield ending a manhunt that had covered a wide area of western New York and involved hundreds of officers.

Pte. Mark Dodsworth
June 12, 1982 - Falkland Islands - age 35
Officer Chance Frederick Whiteman III
March 26, 1982 - Tulsa, Oklahoma - age 35

K9 Officer Whiteman, age 35, was killed on March 26, 1982 in a helicopter accident while assisting patrol officers during a high speed car chase. Dispatchers lost contact with the helicopter during the chase. A deputy sheriff found the crash site at about 1:30 a.m. and was later discovered to have struck a tree and crashed near 66th Street and Lakewood Avenue.  Officer Kelly Smythe, who was with Officer Whiteman, was also killed in the crash. The helicopter program was only ten days old at the time of the accident.  Both Officer Whiteman and Officer Smythe served Tulsa Police Department in Oklahoma and were 5 year veterans of the department. Officer Whiteman had over 1500 hours of flight time and had flown helicopters for the Army in Vietnam and survived being shot down twice.  Officer Whiteman is survived by his wife and one son, Chance Frederick Whiteman IV.

Back Up Next

Web-Master: Jim Cortina


Copyright © 2004 Connecticut Police Work Dog Association (C.P.W.D.A.)

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction Strictly Prohibited.